What does FAMILY mean to you?

This weekend is Family Day weekend in Alberta. It's always a welcome break in what is usually a very cold month. This year winter has barely touched us (so far, I'm sure winter will be here, even if it's in May!), so I am looking forward to spending some quality time with my men outside.  In years past, I have actually used this weekend to travel home to see my family, especially since moving to Edmonton.  It can be really disappointing at times to not have them near me when I hear about all the fun things that others are doing with their families. For quite a while, I felt quite alone and isolated here. Yes, I had mrblueberry during this time, but sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes a girl just needs girlfriends!

It can be really hard to make friends as an adult. And since I didn't have a regular job, it was harder. There are many benefits to working as a substitute teacher, but getting to know the other teachers and forming friendships with coworkers is not usually one of them. Since joining momstown, however, I have met many amazing women. And I now consider several of those women among my friends. Not just "mom friends" that I hang out with for play dates, but friends that I could call if I ever need something, anything. Friends who I feel lucky to count among my inner circle. Friends who I truly feel comfortable with being myself. Friends who I trust will be there with whatever I need, when I need it, and even if I tell them I don't need it. And friends who I not only call friend, but family.

What does family mean to you? To me, family are not only those that I am related to through blood or marriage. To me, family are those people who you know you can count on. Whether that be your mother, or father, sister or brother, aunt or uncle, friend or neighbour. So this Family Day weekend, take a moment to celebrate those you can count on. Whether those people are your blood relatives, coworkers or just someone you happened to meet through a fabulous moms' group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support