Let Them Play

As you probably already know, I am part of a fabulous group of mamas called momstown. These mamas have given me so much support and confidence. I am ever-grateful for them all. This past spring, I was hired for the position of program coordinator for our chapter. It has been so much fun planning and hosting some of the programs. I love being able to plan a craft and activity for the kids to do. It really has helped me with how I was feeling about wasting my degree. Not only do we have these programs, but we also have play dates throughout the week that mamas can attend with their littles. I truly love how many events that momstown offers. There is such a variety of structured and unstructured events to which I can bring E, and I am grateful for the opportunities to do so.

I was talking with another mama recently about play dates. She was insistent that all play dates need to have some sort of theme or craft or planned activity. She felt very strongly about that and told me that was why she never wanted to host them. At the time, I couldn't think of what to say to her to explain why I believe that isn't necessary. But, now, I think I can. I am a huge advocate of learning by play. I love the idea of just letting kids explore and figuring things out on their own. Kids have fantastic imaginations, and they do not need adults beside them directing every activity they do. Sometimes, it is great for kids to just play. Not everything needs to be a "learning experience" in the way that we adults think of learning experiences. Playing produces learning just as well, if not better, than directed activities. We don't need to provide a "starting point" for them either. It is important for kids to just be able to play without that help.

Don't get me wrong. Themes are fun and can be great. And it's fantastic to do crafts, baking and art with your kids. Sensory activities and tables are wonderful things to get your child playing. But, it doesn't have to be done at every play date. We need to stop overloading our children with activities and themes and things, and just let them be kids. Send them outside to just play with each other (or alone if they so choose). Go to the park and let them run around. Head over to a friend's house and just play with the toys while the mamas (or daddies) chat. Let them be occasionally as they "read" a book, or colour a picture without asking a whole bunch of questions. Let them take the bubbles and blow them themselves. If we continue to provide activities at every turn, our kids are not going to learn how to just "be." It's important to just have fun. Not everything has to be about learning. Structure is good. Structure is important. But I think we do them a huge disservice by having too much structure and adult-directed or provided activities. Let's do our kids a favour, and just let them play once in awhile! Childhood is supposed to be FUN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support