Baby-led Weaning: Our Journey into Feeding Solids

I came across a blog post about baby cereals recently and why you should avoid them. After reading it, I was so happy that we decided to skip them. At the time, I just didn't think they were necessary (they aren't), but after reading that rice cereal can contain ARSENIC, I am glad I trusted my gut. Unfortunately, this isn't the only thing I have read about the problems with commercially made baby food. Just today another post popped up in my Facebook feed about how much salt is contained in Gerber ready made toddler "foods," more than TWO medium orders of McDonald's french fries!

I often get asked about our journey starting solid food, and I love telling people how we did it! I wasn't aware that there WAS another way and that I didn't have to do purees until I did the research. So, how did we start the solid food journey? Well, it was a bumpy ride at first. I decided that I would NOT be buying baby food and started offering E homemade pear puree at five and a half months old. He did seem to like it the few times he got it, but it just didn't feel right to me having to convince him to open his mouth. I had learned already at this point to trust myself, so I did some research on other options and came across Baby Led Weaning (or Baby Led Solids). Basically, it is giving your baby WHOLE foods, right from the dinner table! I was floored. I excitedly explained it to mrblueberry who was a bit hesitant until he read more about it from the book "Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food" by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. After reading about it, he agreed with me that it made a lot of sense.

E's first Christmas dinner
We decided we would stop the purees and on Christmas day (at 6 months exactly) E had his first real food. Turkey and steamed carrots! I am not sure that he actually ate any of it, but he did gum it for a minute or two. Where did we go from there? Well, we started giving E food we were eating. We loosely followed the "3 day rule" where you only give one new thing for three days to ensure there isn't an allergy (and if there is, then you know the cause). His first foods were broccoli, carrots and yam fries (all things we were making for our own dinner). All were cut into "finger" shapes and sizes. This ensured that he would be able to hold them in his fist and shove it in his mouth. And all were cooked to a bit softer consistency than I normally do. I think the "rule" is that if you can mush it with your tongue on the roof of your mouth, then it is soft enough. I don't think he actually ingested too much for the first month or so (although he did eat some as I could see the result in his diapers!), but after that initial month, he was eating like a pro. And it was SO much easier! We all got to enjoy our dinners together!

Something everyone who has asked me about when they find out we started solids this way has to do with the fear of choking. Now, let me make something clear. A lot of people think any time that a baby has an issue with food in their mouth, they are choking. This is simply not true. Gagging and choking are different things. A good rule to follow is that gagging comes with noise, and choking does not. Babies will gag, whether you spoon feed them or let them feed themselves. The difference between a spoon fed baby and a baby who is feeding himself is that a baby that is feeding himself is learning how to move the food around his mouth with his tongue, while the spoon fed baby is only having the food dumped into the back of his mouth. If choking is something that scares you (I can understand that fear), take a baby CPR course. That should help to allay your fears because if something were to happen, you will know what to do.

So, what are my tips for starting down this journey?
  • Check out the website Baby-led Weaning and the book as well.
  • Offer your baby what you're eating, but cut the seasoning at first. We always took E's out of the pan before we added the seasoning for the first couple of months. This was mainly just to watch for any allergies.
  • Follow your baby's lead. Some days your baby will eat lots, some days she won't. It's okay!
  • On that note, some babies just aren't interested in solids until much later than 6 months. That is okay too! Don't force it. The goal of baby-led weaning is to get your baby to love food!
  • Remember: Food before one is just for fun! Babies should still be getting the bulk of their nutrition from their milk source (be it breast milk or formula) until they are one!
  • RELAX. 
  • RELAX. 
  • RELAX.
  • And finally, have fun! Watch your baby explore the food you're giving him and don't worry if most of it ends up in his lap/on the floor!
    A "finger shaped" pear slice (very ripe) is a great "first food"
    And soon, they will be eating like a pro!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support