My Healthy Revolution: Almost 30


In one month, I will be 30. I remember when my mom turned 30. I thought 30 was SO old. All throughout high school, I still thought 30 was so old. In my early twenties, 30 still felt like it was ages away and so old. And now, here I am staring down the last days of my twenties. And I don't feel so old. Sure, there are signs of aging on this body. Signs that I spent a little too much time in the sun some years without wearing the requisite sunscreen or hat. Signs that I was less than careful with sharp objects. Signs that I am clumsy. Signs that I have made bad decisions over the years. But there are also some amazing signs. Signs that it has carried and birthed children. Signs that it has nourished and been a soft place to land for those children. Signs that it is resilient as it once again shows me its strength during training runs. Signs that I may be 30, but I am not old. And that became even more clear to me this past weekend.

This past weekend, I made the trek to BC with the boys by myself. I swore I would never do this again after the infamous solo trip back in the fall, but I did. And the trip was great. Not only did I get to visit with my family, but I got to run in the beautiful mountains. Saturday morning, I headed out alone for my long run. We were only supposed to run for an hour and ten minutes. But, I was enjoying my run so much that I ran for almost an hour and a half. On a beautiful sunny day, I ran with the towering, snow-capped mountains surrounding me. There was nothing on my mind but running. It was a much needed soul-cleansing experience. I pushed myself to do my fastest 10 km yet, and ended up running a total of 12.71 km. That last kilometer was hard. Really hard. I ended up having to run for 30 seconds, and walk for a minute or two for it. I just wanted to stop and lay down on the gravel road. And that was where I hit my revelation. I can't quit. I just have to "keep on keeping on." Even when it was the hardest, even when I just wanted to lay down on the ground and call my mom to come and get me, I didn't. I put one foot in front of the other and kept at it. I can do this.
We are hitting the home stretch now. Both in training, and in fundraising. I have ran over 400 kilometers and raised over $2000 for blood cancer research. I have trained for almost four months now. There is less than two months to go until the "big day." I have made and fought off excuses. I have fallen, frozen, sweat, swore, and had to talk myself through what felt like torturous hills. But it's not enough. I don't get to quit. Those people who are living with blood cancer don't get to quit. They don't get to take "a rest day" where cancer leaves them alone. It's always there. Chasing them. Whether it's in remission or not. It hides in the corners of their minds threatening to come out again. They fight every day. No matter the weather, no matter what other things are going on, no matter what anyone else says or does. They fight and live with the reality of what cancer is. I run for their fights. So that their fights won't be so hard. So that one day they might get to take that rest day and forget about the cancer that has plagued their lives. I can't do much, but I can run. And I can ask you for your help. Please check out my link here and donate. Every little bit helps, and I am so very appreciative of it all!

I may be almost 30, but I am not old. I can still run. And as long as I can run, I will never be old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support