Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Agitation

Breastfeeding in pregnancy sucks (no pun intended), especially this late in pregnancy. I have been breastfeeding for 22 months, and I have been pregnant for almost 34 weeks of that. As is expected this late in pregnancy, I don't have any milk left. It is fully colostrum and there isn't much of that there. And yet, E still wants to nurse at least two times a day. I have been just taking each day as it comes and going with the flow, but the other day I think I may have hit a road block. While nursing E for his nap, he started doing that awful fluttery suck as he was falling asleep. Normally, I can block out the annoyance this suck brings until he is asleep. Not that day. That day I felt my body rebelling against nursing him. I started to cry because I wanted him off so badly. I felt my body pulling away from him unconsciously. I wanted to push him off of my lap. I became nauseous and almost actually threw up. It was terrible. The same thing almost happened at bedtime, but I told him "milk's all done" when I realized that I was starting to feel that way. The next day, both nursing sessions were fine. But, again today, I felt my body reacting the same way as the other day.

I am torn. I don't know what to do. There are many reasons to continue nursing E, even if he isn't getting any milk right now. Breastfeeding isn't only about the nutrition! I want to keep nursing E if that is what he wants. I strongly believe in child-led weaning. But at the same time, I could really, really, really use a break. I am not enjoying nursing as I once was. Nursing used to be a comforting time where I got to focus on E and connect with him. Now, more often than not, I find myself gritting my teeth and watching the clock during a session, just waiting to be able to stop. It's not fun. I often wonder if I will ever enjoy nursing again, even when the new baby comes along.

I know that agitation during nursing in pregnancy is quite normal. I also know that it might not go away once the baby is born. I might continue to be agitated by E's nursing. I am definitely worried about that. But I suppose we will cross that bridge when it comes. What do I do in the meantime though? I don't know. I will probably continue to take each day as it comes. I have been setting boundaries with E and nursing. If I have to end a nursing session before E is ready, I will. It feels like a little bit of a cop-out, like I am taking the "easy way out" since I don't want to deal with weaning. Maybe it is. But during those sessions where my body rebels and just wants E off of me, it definitely isn't the easy way. Many times, I have wished that E would wean. At the same time, though, I would really like the opportunity to tandem nurse. So, I will remind myself that each day is a new day, and each nursing session is a new session. And before I know it, the new baby will be here. What will our nursing relationship look like at that time? I don't know; only time will tell.

If you have any questions about tandem nursing, or nursing in pregnancy, check out kellymom.com!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support