14 Year Old Me

Recently I got lost in my diary from high school, and the more I read, the more my heart broke for 14 year old me. How worthless and unlovable I used to find myself! And how much I believed those lies. Signs of my depression peeking through amidst the teenage angst. I often wonder how I made it through. I started wondering what I would tell her if I could go back and comfort her.

Timers on cameras and just hoping that it turned out okay!

What do you tell someone who is hurting and only sees dark? What do you say to encourage a young girl who feels so alone? What words do you use?

I would tell her that her worth is not tied to boys. That she is beautiful whether a boy thinks she is or not. That what these teenage boys think won't matter in a few years. That it's okay to be on her own and not be dating someone. That she doesn't need to do something just because a boy wants her to. That she is in charge of her body. That she will make mistakes but that they don't define her. That how others treat her does not determine her worth.

Selfie, before selfies were cool
I would tell her to hang on. That she's going to have a few rough years, but that in those rough times she will find beauty and love. That those rough times will soon be behind her and while it won't all be smooth sailing, it will get easier. That she can't give up because her future is bright and beautiful and that there are people depending on her.
 
I would tell her that she is strong. That she's already shown strength just by still being alive. That she'll amaze herself with her strength as time passes by. That even though she is strong, it's okay to not feel that way. It's okay to honour those feelings, but even if she doesn't feel it, she's still strong.

I would tell her not to let anyone dim her shine. That she's brilliant and that she can do anything she wants to do. That she should work towards whatever her goals are even if her goals aren't what "they" are telling her to do because of her high grades. That in the future, it will be trendy to be nerdy so to embrace it now. And that she should probably learn how to study because in university she is going to be hit with needing to do so and won't know how.



I would tell her that she was going to be okay, more than okay. That things would get darker but that there was so much light coming. That life is a series of dark times followed by light times. That the sunrise always comes at dawn, no matter how dark the night has been. That she is worthy and important. That she matters. And most of all, that she is loved beyond anything she can imagine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support