Grateful for More

This morning I awoke to light peeking in through the curtains, the smell of bacon wafting upstairs, the sound of children's voices echoing throughout my kitchen, and the soft touch of a baby's hand caressing my face. When I got up, I was greeted with excited voices saying "Mommy!" as they ran to give me a hug. I have never been a morning person (possibly an understatement if you ask my mom and dad), but these moments where my children run to me almost make me one (almost...coffee brings me the rest of the way). Not every morning is like this, but today was.

This Thanksgiving weekend we have snow. A fair amount of snow. Enough to pull out the sleds for the kids to pull each other around in. Normally, I feel disgust or annoyance at the first snow, especially when it comes before Halloween. But this year, watching them outside playing (interspersed with the usual sibling fighting and screaming) while the smell of pumpkin pie wafts past me, I feel grateful. Grateful for the life I have been given and for the life we have worked for. Life isn't always easy with four kids on only one income, but damn, I'm sure happy we have them.

We've always wanted four kids. For as long as I remember, four kids was our agreed upon number. I always knew that four kids meant more. More groceries, more laundry, more cooking. More little people who need you, more cleaning, more money spent. More crazy. But what I didn't realize is how much more. And I didn't understand that it also meant more snuggles, more morning hugs, more laughter. More moments of wonder. More goodnight kisses. More first steps and more first words. More lessons of patience. More fighting, but also more joy and fun. More love. So much more love. I didn't realize how much more love. The things I will do for love that I never imagined myself doing before.

It's Thanksgiving weekend, and I am so grateful for all that "more." My pies are baked, my turkey is in the oven, all the fixings are prepped and ready for their turn, my baby has nursed, the big kids are fed or napping, and I think I'm just going to sit here, sip a coffee, and take in the wonder and crazy that is my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support