A Letter to the Old Lady at the Grocery Store

Dear Old Lady at the Grocery Store,

The other day I was out shopping alone with the baby while my husband was at home with my other two. As is my usual routine, I was wearing him. I saw you walking with your husband. I saw your head turn as my baby caught your eye. I heard you tell your husband, "Oh! Just wait a moment!" The pit of my stomach churned with dread as I watched you walk toward me and the list of regular comments people say to mothers with babies flooded my brain. I pictured you saying a number of things, from something about being brave, to how my boy baby is a girl, to how he is huge for only three months, to how my husband is at home "babysitting," to how I must cherish all of the moments because it goes too fast (side note: I'm well aware that it goes fast, but I don't care what you say, I refuse to cherish and remember some moments...poopslosions anyone?). I imagined how you were going to reach out and touch my sleeping baby's face or head. In that couple of seconds it took you to make your way toward me, I managed to make my face look friendly and not like I was as annoyed as I was, and I waited for the inevitable.

I waited, and I was surprised. You walked towards me with a genuine smile on your face and instead of reaching out and touching my baby, you placed your hand on my arm, looked at me with the kindest eyes I have ever seen, and said, "You're doing a great job, mom." Then, you looked down at my baby, smiled again, and went on your way. You didn't touch my baby, you didn't ask any questions or say any of the annoying things I have heard. I stood there for a minute, in shock, and smiled. This baby is my third baby, and I honestly think this was the first time I had a stranger say that to me. I didn't even think I needed someone to say something like that (my baby was sleeping and my other two were at home after all!), but as I walked out of that aisle, I felt lighter.

So, thank you Old Lady. Thank you for knowing what I needed when I didn't even know it myself. Thank you for spreading a little bit of kindness and love. Next time I see a mama or dad in the store, I hope I can remember your kindness and pass it on.

From a Grateful Mama

Comments

Unknown said…
I want to pinch his squishy little cheeks. With my dirty fingers. And wake him up. Then say something patronizing.

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support