My Healthy Revolution: Step One

http://www.runfergus.com/2011/11/dressing-for-winter-running.html
My journey has started. I have officially been training for my half-marathon for one week. I plan to blog every week or two about my journey. I'm anticipating it being an emotional, and a physical journey. I can not run well, but I will be a runner. Last Saturday, we had our training kick-off. We got to meet our trainers, mentors, and other team mates. We got our training schedule, and I must admit that I may have had a mini heart attack when I read it. Yikes. I'm not sure if I have ever exercised as much as I will be in the next few months--not even in high school during basketball or track season.  I must admit that I am a little scared. My body is not the shape nor size of a runner's body. But I can do this. I WILL do this. I'm determined. For my boys, and for myself. 

After meeting everyone, we went for a group run. It was only 30 minutes, but it was hard. I was slow. I felt so completely out of shape. But, I was determined. We did 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking. Ha! Tell that to my five month postpartum body. It was not quite co-operative and I ended up having to take more walk breaks than we were supposed to. But, everyone was so nice and supportive. I am so excited to get to know this fantastic group of people. So, how did the rest of my week go?

Sunday: Rest day!

Monday: If you had told me even a month ago that I would wake up at 6 am in the snow and cold to go running, I would have laughed in your face. But, I did it! The alarm went and instead of ignoring it and snuggling next to the warm baby beside me, I quietly slipped out of bed, got my running gear on, leashed up the dog, and headed out. We were supposed to do a 20 minute tempo run (so faster than normal). Just getting back into things, I knew I needed to ease into it. There's no point in pushing too hard and then hurting yourself in the first week! So, I followed my Couch to 5k program. I was on week 3, so I did 90 seconds of jogging, and 90 seconds of walking, then 3 minutes jogging, and 3 minutes walking for about 25 minutes. I barely made the 3 minute jogging marks. I could feel my lungs fighting me near the end of it! But when I was done, I felt great! I was tired, but energized and ready to start the day.

Tuesday: Our second group training run. We met up at 7 pm at a local park. It was SO cold. Again, we ran for 5 minutes on, then walked for 1 minute. I was able to run for the full 5 minutes for the entire time! Running with a group made me push myself more than I thought I was capable of! Only a week in, and I am already learning that my body is stronger than I thought!

Wednesday: Rest day!

Thursday: Again, I got up at 6 am and went out in the freezing cold. I was still on week 3 in my Couch to 5k, so I continued that. It was the same as Monday, but that 3 minutes felt SO much easier!

Friday: I missed training. I was supposed to do a cross-training day and was going to do yoga at home. But, with the prep work for our Silent Auction, the day somehow got away from me, and suddenly it was dinner time and then bedtime. What did I learn? I need to do the "on my own" workouts in the morning before kids wake up. Unless I have a class to get to, I can't just leave it for later in the day. Sucks that I missed training this day, but at least now I know what I have to do!

And that brings us to today. We had another group training session, and it was great. I already feel way stronger than I did just a week ago. It's amazing how our body reacts with some push and determination. But today's training was but a blur in the morning. Prior to our training session, we had a mission moment. One of our team mates, Dave, talked about his connection to the cause. I had a very hard time listening to his story, and had to focus on the shoe wall across from me so that I didn't break down. His daughter (also a team mate!) developed Burkitt's Lymphoma at 17. At one particular point in his story, I was unable to hold back the tears no matter how desperately I counted the shoes on the wall. Dave described how he had always pictured his daughter on his arm as he walked her down the aisle to marry her love. And instead, here he was walking his daughter around the hospital halls during her treatments. Instead of a wedding dress and corsage, she wore a hospital gown and shunt for her treatments. Instead of bright, excited eyes, her eyes were dull and full of pain. His words painted a picture in my mind that I never want to see in real life.

So, this friends, is why I am running. I am running because I can. And as long as I can run, I will. And I am fundraising because we ARE making a difference. There are treatments available today that weren't available just two years ago. Team in Training is a BIG part of that, and participants have raised over $1.2 BILLION! I am doing this because there may come a time when one of my family members or friends gets that same awful news that many get each day. I am doing this because I can. If you can in any way help out, please do. Every dollar matters. Click here to donate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support