Parks for Paws

I realize that it is only minutes after my last post, but I needed to share my day and the ideas I had during it. Today, we took our 5 month old puppy to a new dog park in the city. As of yet, we had only brought her to Terwilleger Park, and I have come to love the place. I originally was against off leash parks as there are so many irresponsible dog owners out there. After experiencing them, I have changed my mind. I do still believe there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners; with some simple precautions, however, a dog park can be a great experience. Leaving your puppy on leash will help, and I definitely suggest this no matter the age or temperament of the dog. You never know how your dog will react around another dog, even if your dog is the most friendliest dog. As our dog trainer once said, dogs are no different than humans when it comes to getting along with others. A dog may get along with one dog one day or even minute, and the next they can get frustrated or annoyed and that leads to aggression. Now, I am not saying that you shouldn't let your dog "open 'er up" when you get to the dog park. On the contrary, just keep your leash on your dog and let it go. Leaving your dog on leash like this will give you an extra 6 feet in case something does happen and you need to step in. Especially in the early days of training!

But, I regress. Back to my day that I wanted to share. As I was searching for other dog parks, I realized that there is not one place (that I could find anyway) that explains what each park is like and perhaps gives a rating. Such a website would be a useful tool, much more useful than the pamphlet that the city gives out to licenced dogs. I decided that I would begin to make such a place, and so if you have been to a dog park in Edmonton, PLEASE comment on how you enjoyed the park, what it was like, whether you would return, if it was busy, if it was all big dogs or a mix of big and small, and the like. I am going to compile this information into one easy to access website! Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overdue and Tired

Pop Can Caroler Craft

Mother Blessing: A Day of Love and Support